Correct Method Of Making Your Dog Vomit
Recently I received a comment on www.MyPetsDoctor.com from Xandra in the Philippines. She was unfortunate enough to have had her dog ingest rat poison and to not have access to emergency after-hours pet care where she lives.
Xandra was fortunate in a couple of other ways, though.
One, she has Internet access, and was able to find a method of making her dog vomit the poison he had ingested.
Two, she was able to find a dosage that was not incorrect.
A recent study shows that sixty-four percent (64%) of the medical information on the Internet is either wrong, or outdated. Sixty-four percent! You have a better chance of being right by just guessing!
To help reduce that percentage a minuscule amount, here is the correct method of making your dog vomit:
- Administer 3% hydrogen peroxide at a rate of 2.2 milliliters (mL) per kilogram (Kg) of body weight. That is equivalent to 1.0 mL of hydrogen peroxide per pound of body weight. Never exceed a total dosage of 45 mL .
- To weigh your pet, step on a scale, weigh yourself, pick up your pet, weigh again, then subtract the difference.
- To convert your pet’s pound weight to kilograms, divide the pound weight by 2.2.
- To use common household instruments for measuring, a teaspoon is approximately five (5) mL, a Tablespoon is approximately fifteen (15) mL . Most modern measuring cups have both metric and English measuring marks.
- One liquid ounce is equal to approximately 30 mL .
This method of hydrogen-peroxide-facilitated vomiting will work in most dogs. If he hasn’t vomited in five (5) minutes, repeat the dosage. Never exceed a total dosage of 45 mL .
Do not induce vomiting if your pet has ingested caustic, acidic or otherwise erosive materials, which will cause further damage to the esophagus, pharyngeal and oral structures as it comes back up.
Hydrogen peroxide is safe to use in cats at the same dosage, but is not as efficacious. Prescription medications work more effectively and will be available at your pet’s doctor’s office or at your local emergency hospital.
Fortunately, cats are far more fastidious than dogs, so their likelihood of ingesting damaging materials is much lower.
See you tomorrow, Dr. Randolph.