Hunting Dogs Need A Medical Break

Hunting dogs are having a tough time getting a break lately.

One must be careful where one gets his medical information. Including his veterinary medical information.

I was at the lunch counter today when I overheard a conversation among four “wannabe-practitioners.”

“So, my friend put the dogs’ dewormer in a drinking water bottle. My other friend didn’t know it wasn’t water, and he drank some of it. They took him to the doctor and he’s going to be OK.”

Lesson Number One: There’s a reason for those warnings about not putting anything into a container for which it was not originally intended and labeled.

“Then, when my first friend yelled at him not to drink it he dropped it and began to spit the stuff out. One of the deer dogs was out of his pen, smelled the dewormer and started gulping it down, overdosing himself.”

The “unintended consequences” keep unraveling.

“You need to always keep some (sic) akrapeen on hand for emergencies. It’s the universal antidote,” the budding
do-it-yourself doctor said.

I pictured a cartoon with this guy, a syringe and a hound. A bubble over his head said, “Yesterday I could not spell (sic) ‘akrapeen,’ today I are administering it!”

“No matter what your dog gets into, give him a shot of (sic) akrapeen. It’ll fix him right up.”

The fellow doing most of the talking finished his lunch, went outside, and drove away in his pickup truck. On the side it said, “pest control.”

Lesson Number Two:  I could only be thankful they took their poisoned friend to see a physician instead of letting the pest control expert give him some (sic) akrapeen.

Lesson Number Three: Hunting dogs deserve a veterinarian, too. Please leave the practice of veterinary medicine to those who are trained to do it well.

See you tomorrow, Dr. Randolph.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.